Re: [oletrucks] lens replacements

To: mark@noakes.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] lens replacements
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 22:52:16 EST
>.I don't know; is the pickup tail light lens  4 1/4 inch in diameter?  I
measured it and  the 3 3/4 I stated before was wrong.  If so, that sure is an
easy fix.Can anyone verify this? Mark Noakes<<

  I have a Chevrolet parts guide covering many years, here's what I have
listed for Lamp, Housing, rear license with bulb , section 2.700   :

 57-58 Chevy suburban w/end gate, also 57-58 Pass. w/ C.T.C ( whatever THAT
is ) , P/N  898549 , 4 & 5/16 inch diameter, Guide R-13

that is the only light I see listed for a Suburban, but not the one with
doors, just the end gate ( possibly GMC Suburban p/u? ), so unless it's
listed under another name entirely, I can't tell if there is another. No
other part number is exactly like the Sub w/End gate. Here's what else is
similar :

'55-57 pickup 12 volt (  L2-55 on lens ),  3714125
57 single unit ( except Sub w/End gate) , 898539
58 Single unit with doors , 898838
57-58 Pass. w/C.T.C. , 3747806

  So, it seems there are alot of variations, but not much help visually. I
have several B&W pics, but the suburban is on the side view, can't see the
rear. :(  Well, hope it's been useful, if not entirely helpful. Good luck, I
have found a sub before with a small glass lens, it was about 1 inch wide,
about 2.5 long and curled up on the ends, more rectangularish than round lamp
housing. I think on a '58 Panel truck. The housing was rusty, but I saved the
lense, still have it somewhere. I'll have to check the subs and panels at the
yard in VA one day, see if any still have housings and lenses left. Well,
time to sign off, g'nite all.

Jerry