Re: [oletrucks] Re: Doorlock on 1950 GMC

To: Dave <dave@juniorbaseball.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: Doorlock on 1950 GMC
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:29:39 -0800
Dave,

I fought the same issue for years and hated it. This was the standard
setup. I have been told that the rationale was that people would rather
slide across to the passenger side and get out on the sidewalk rather than
the muddy street (many were unpaved in 1950, remember). This was probably a
dodge for saving money; you know, taking a shortcoming and making a feature
out of it.

Anyway, I bought an electric door lock kit with an Amenity radio control
unit and a couple of 35lb. solenoids. I had to cut the tab off the drivers
latch that prevents latching the door with the handle in the lock position.
So now I reach across and lock the passenger door from the inside, then
open the driver's door, push  the handle to the lock position, get out and
shut the door. A touch of the button on the key fob unlocks either door.
You can still lock the passenger door the regular way with the key.

-Tom
51 3800

At 08:39 AM 12/11/01 -0800, Dave wrote:
>Hi Truck-folks:
>
>Our 1950 GMC pickup has a door lock only on the passenger side, which it
>terribly awkward for everyday use - have to lock the driver's door from the
>inside, slide out the passenger side, lock that door, then reverse the
>procedure to get in. With a passenger, it is ever more awkward! There is no
>hole or privision for a lock on the right side.
>
>Anyone know is this was standard on these, and why? And what can we do to
>fit a lock mechanism to this door? It seems like a big job...
>
>Thanks!
>
>Dave Destler
>Los Angeles
>
>P.S. Bodywork is almost finished, and chrome is all done - ready to paint
>soon!

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA