[oletrucks] RE: {oletrucks} Help

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: {oletrucks} Help
From: Bill & Pam Whittaker <whittakers@erinet.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:12:19 -0500
Jim,

   If your truck has a Camaro clip you can't replace it easily.  A
Heidts system will require the original frame to be in place and other
systems such as Fat Man's will too.  Your best bet at this point is to
rebuild the existing Camaro clip.  After all that's where the problem
is.  At a minimum, replace the bushings and bearings and check the
welding quality where the clip is mated to the truck's frame.  One of
the biggest problems with shade tree clips is poor welding which can
lead to failure or worse.  If the welding doesn't look professional I
would also check the overall alignment of the entire front clip and
closely inspect the steering components as well.  Safety is your major
concern here.  If it wasn't welded very well there's no telling what
else might have been done wrong.

    If the guy did the job right then all it needs is a front suspension
rebuild and you should be good to go.  The Camaro clip if done correctly
is an excellent choice for your truck and it should ride well, but it
won't if all the components are worn out.

    By the way, the Camaro clip IS a full blown IFS system.

Bill Whittaker
'53 3100 Hemi
Built like a Rock
With MOPAR Stock

I just found out that the guy installed a 71 Camaro front end ( Clip and

Suspension ) on the front of the truck. I asked him what I could do to
make
the front end quieter and ride smoother and he suggested a full carpet
kit
in the cab (big help huh? Gee thanks Buddy) It just feels like all of
the
bushings are gone in the front end. I am going to replace it with a full

blown IFS system next year so I think I will just deal with it until
then.

Jim
55 Step Side
Los Angeles