[oletrucks] was Air Compressors, now phase converters

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] was Air Compressors, now phase converters
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: 12 Dec 2001 15:03:39 -0800
Lindsay Publications sells reprints of old technical and how-to books.  They
have one on phase converters (single phase to three phase) titled, "How to Run
Three Phase Motors on Single Phase Power".  I believe it was real cheap.

Besides the "using a single phase motor to run a three phase generator to run a
three phase motor" concept, this book outlines three other methods:

(Note: in all cases these 3-phase motors on the tool end are 208 or 220/240 VAC
rated, Y connected.)

1--A capacitor across two of the phases with another capacitor in parallel
switched in as a starter.  Not recommended for continuous duty cycle (heavily
loaded compressor) as this is an unbalanced circuit but ok for low duty cycle
machine tools.

2--A capacitor and autotransformer; have to custom build but works for high
constant load; bad for low load low duty cycle use.  Probably good for a
compressor.

3--Maybe the best and easiest. . .connect single phase power to a 3-phase delta
wound motor.  The delta wound motor acts as a phase converter itself and can be
used to run Y-connected 3-phase motors.  The biggest problem with this approach
is that it works better with multiple motors instead of just one motor hung off
of it.  A power factor correction capacitor should also be used; value to be
determined experimentally.

The commercial units are expensive; the home made units require that you know
what you're doing.  Interesting trade-off.

PS--Lindsay's also has alot of book reprints for foundry, machining, and
electrical equipment.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Chevy Suburban
59 GMC Suburban