Re: [oletrucks] homemade 3 phase, was Air Compressors

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] homemade 3 phase, was Air Compressors
From: Bruce K <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:36:10 -0600
I'm not an electrician, so use this with a grain of  salt.  I have
been around 440V and larger motors for 30 years and learned a few
tricks.

One guy I know bought a 3 phase lathe and wanted to put it in his
garage.  He only had single phase 220 in the garage.

Someone I know came up with a rig that by God worked somehow, but
I don't know how efficient it was.  It consisted of a 110V motor
and two 3  phase motors belted together.  I believe the 3 phase motors
were 10 HP to run a 5 HP lathe.

A three phase motor will run on one phase, it just won't start.
A second three phase motor will work just fine as a 3 phase generator,
once you energize it.

What he did was get the whole thing started turning with the 110V
motor, then cut in the single phase 220 to one of the big motors.
He then momentarily hit the second motor with 110 and it would
start generating 3 phase power for the lathe.

Around here, used industrial 3 phase motors like that are pretty
common, along with heavy V belt drives.

Check with a real electrician or electrical engineer before you try
this.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Thursday, 13 December 2001, you wrote:

>every house  has 220 available in there home
>you take the 220 and put it through a phase generator and get three
phase
>coming out
>we got a real good deal on a three phase mil and used the phase
generator
>since it was cheaper than buying a single phase motor
>
>Bill   48'chevy pick-up
>Channahon,Ill.
>website
>www.hotrodstogo.com
>Go ahead and take risks....just be sure that everything
> will turn out OK.

Chilcoat"
><tabsltd@ponyexpress.net>
>>                     <wmh678@worldnet.att        cc:
><oletrucks@autox.team.net>
>>                     .net>                       Subject:     Re:
>[oletrucks] Air Compressors
>>                     Sent by:
>>                     owner-oletrucks@auto
>>                     x.team.net
>>

>>                     12/11/01 10:39 PM
>>                     Please respond to
>>                     "william
>>                     moldenhauer"
>>

>> if you happen to find a three phase compressor you can always
buy a phase
>> generator for about $50.00
>> Bill   48'chevy pick-up
>> Channahon,Ill.
>> website
>> www.hotrodstogo.com
>> Go ahead and take risks....just be sure that everything
>>  will turn out OK.

What

EASY and FREE access to your email anywhere: http://kralweb.com/mail