Re: [oletrucks] compressed air hell and back again

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] compressed air hell and back again
From: john dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:25:31 -0500
OK, Let's define terms here. If you are seeing PVC pipe only rated for
125psi it is thin-wall irrigation pipe and is illegal (most places) to
even use it for water inside a building.

Schedule 40 pvc pipe in the sizes (1/2"-3/4") used for home shop air is
rated at over 400 psi.

If I were piping for air I would use Schedule 80 which is twice as thick
as schedule 40 and can handle much more pressure.

Now I am NOT recomending using PVC, I am just saying that the RIGHT pipe
if not defective, PROPERLY installed will handle the pressures of a home
shop air system.

Note I say "if not defective". I say this because I am seeing more and
more products that are not made well. Before you use any "Life-Safety"
issue product, inspect it. Even black pipe will blow if it has a bad
seam. Look over what you are doing and if there is any doubt don't do
it. This includes engine stands, and lifts, and jacks, and brake parts.
All it takes is one dips*it worker hung over, or high on wacky weed, to
improperly crimp a brake line and one of us could be dead.

One big caveat about PVC, it hates heat, so don't tie it directly to the
compressor or use it where it will be exposed to more than room
temperature. I have seen where plumbers have tied it to the cold inlet
on a water heater and it has gotten hot enough to fail on 40 psi water
pressure.

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula FL