[oletrucks] bit of ramblin

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] bit of ramblin
From: "stephen johnston" <stephenzone@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:11:24 -0500
Hi folks just a bit of rambling about my truck
(55 GMC 2nd series 9300 Canadian model) short box, small back window
When i first got my truck about 15 years ago, there was no kit to drop the
front ends so what we did was get a axle off a GMC panel van (69/70 I think)
and mount it over the springs. Dropped the front end about 6 in". To keep
the same bolt pattern I used a rear-end off a 70 Monte Carlo. Still rode and
steered like a truck so after a while we cut the front end off and grafted a
frame off a 68 camaro (so I could drop in a 350 in using stock mounts). I
used the spindles and discs off the same Monte and the rear steer arms off
what i think was a nova. Sorry no pictures. I spent my money on speed
equipment not cameras.
I pulled the old truck out of storage last year, sold the chassis minus the
engine and bought a frame from California (V8 frame).almost a quart of paint
to paint it. So for the last year Ive sort of been restoring to drive. Just
got my 283 back from the machine shop bored 30 over with a polished crank
and hardened seat for the valves. I'm going HEI with a vintage eldebrock
4-barrel intake (still has the front oil filler). For exhaust Im using ram
horns. I found a wrecking yard near by that is full of old steel and got a
used column for a three in the tree plus all the linkage. I had to use a
bell housing out of an early 60s GMC cause it had a 283 (Canadian versions
used Chevy drive trains) and the mounts are on the bell housing, also was
the source for the flywheel and starter. Another truck up at the farm
donated its transmission 72 chev 3speed (fully synchroed). Should be a good
runner with 10 to 1 compression and a RV cam. Any suggestions for a carb I
do have a early spread bore. Also what was the gear ratio in the rear for a
hydromatic = ton with a six?
This should be enough typing for now

Steve
cobourg near toronto canada
55 2nd GMC 283
78 CJ7 350 (had to put the 350 somewhere after I took  it out of the GMC)
NB mike warford did you get any bites on your cab corner I could a pair?