[oletrucks] Differential Sizes

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Differential Sizes
From: "Ed Orbea" <orbea@tscnet.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:58:22 -0800
I have a Chevy 1953 Model 3100 5-Window Pickup I am starting the
"restification" on. After researching various sources of information, I find I
am in need of some opinions. I obtained a parts car (1975 Chevy Caprice Estate
4-door station wagon) from which I extracted
- 4-barrel, 400 cuin V-8
- R400 Automatic Transmission
- 12-bolt POSI differential
- assorted other parts, pieces and thingies

The opinion I am look for revolved around the differential. I plan to order
from RB's products in Edmonds Wa, a bolt-in rear end kit (part number 1R-454)
to contain the new differential.

Currently the old differential from the '53 measures 62.5 inches from the
outer axle end to outer axle, end and 56.5 inches from backing plate to
backing plate

The 12-bolt differential measures 65.5 inches from the outer axle end to the
other axle end, and 59.5 inches from backing plate to backing plate. (see
ascii drawing below)

      _               ____              _
     | |_____________/    \____________| |
     | |_____________      ____________| |
     |_|             \____/            |_|
       ^                               ^
       |---------backing plate---------|
     ^                                    ^
     |-------------axle end---------------|

Since the plate to plate difference is only 3 inches overall, or 1.5 inches on
each side, and the same difference is applicable to the axle end to axle end
measurements, and I don't plan to install WIDE tires (not a pro-street
restification), does anybody foresee and major clearance problems? I know I
will have to have "special" offsets for the wheels to ensure clearance within
the fenders and away from the frame, suspension parts, but other than that, is
1.5 inches per side a big deal?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Orbea
'53 3100 5-Window