Re: [oletrucks] Overheating solved - head gasket help now

To: rjjmsj@earthlink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Overheating solved - head gasket help now
From: TOUCANMAN@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:26:27 EST
In a message dated 1/19/02 12:01:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rjjmsj@earthlink.net writes:

<< That head is very heavy, and since there are no alignment pins
 to hold the gasket in place while I try to manuever the head onto the block,
 does anyone have any useful suggestions on the best way to try this with the
 engine in the truck.. >>
hey Rob, i just went thru all this. here is what i did, i used a few feet of
chain and bolted the ends  to the head thru the rocker shaft bolt holes..then
i called my girlfriend to come help. we slipped a regular 8 ft long 2x4 in
the loop of chain and with her on one side of the truck and myself on the
other we lifted and walked it over the radiator and back to position, i
placed the 2x4 on my shoulder to free my hands. then i could lift using my
legs and back to keep the weight of the gasket and asked my girlfriend" Patty
"to rotate the 2x4 a bit for leveling wile i slipped in some bolts and
position the head. i used a long punch in one of the empty bolt holes to keep
things lined up wile fitting the head......and now my girlfriend feels like
she helped out too........IM just a novice and we figured it out, it was
pretty easy.....Steve
Ps i got the  whole Fel-pro engine gasket set from Patrics it was something
like $70.00
 "53" GMC 228 dual zeniths over fentons