RE: [oletrucks] Overheating solved - head gasket help now

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Overheating solved - head gasket help now
From: "Peters, Jon C" <jpeters@sikorsky.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:32:57 -0500
I've taken longer bolts, cut the heads off, grind a slot into the top end
(for a slotted screwdriver) and used them as installation alignment holes.
Put them in, then the gasket, then the head. then you can un-screw them and
put the correct bolts in.
The head is definitely a two guy (person) job, I partially pull the hood to
get better access.

Loose or more correct non torque'd head bolts will guarantee a gasket
failure. Lot of pressure it the combustion chamber.
You've got the head off, so this tip is moot, but if you have a compression
tester and shop air, you can find a blown gasket quick.
1.      put the cylinder in question at top dead center
2.      attach the shop air to the compression tester's quick disconnect
(not a lot of pressure same as compression ratio.. 35-70psi)
3.      remove radiator cap
4.      look for air bubbles
if its blown you'll see bubbles, if a valve isn't where its supposed to be
you'll hear hissing from the exhaust or intake manifold.

Jon P