[oletrucks] Head gasket

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Head gasket
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:47:31 -0700
Rob, when I used to help my dad rebuild Chevy sixes (37,39,etc) he always said
DON'T try to reuse the head bolts. It seems they actually stretch. Also the
main bearing bolts. And he was VERY SCOTTISH-he grew up during the recession.
Now several people are going to tell you-go ahead, reuse them. It's just like
using a sealant in the cooling system(yes, I tried it--once). Not worth the
risk. Why have the head magnifluxed, and then take a chance on used critical
parts?  I'm thrifty, but I try to learn from my (and others) mistakes. Bob K
in PHX,AZ