[oletrucks] Advice on Wheels & Tires for TF Truck

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Advice on Wheels & Tires for TF Truck
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:04:53 -0600
Would like some advice from anyone about new wheels and tires for my '56 TF
Stepside.  I currently have a stock suspension (1/2 ton).  I have US Wheel
white color spoke wheels with 6-lug pattern, 5 1/2 inch spacing for the
lugs, and the wheels are 4 1/2 inch backspacing.  I have P235R78X15 radials
(white wall).  All wheels and tires are in excellent shape with no rust or
significant tread wear (total of 5 rims & tires).  I'm planning to lower the
front end 2-3 inches by removing 2 leafs from the front springs this winter.

Can someone tell me just how wide and low I can go on the front and rears
without rubbing?  Should I decrease the backspacing to get better clearance
for the springs, front end, etc.?  I haven't seen too many chrome-reverse or
smoothies in anything but 15 inch with a 6-lug pattern (C-R's or smoothies
are what I'd really like to use).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Carl Ham
'56 TF Stepside