[oletrucks] leak-down compression test

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] leak-down compression test
From: "Dana Muise" <dana@spazzco.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:12:24 -0800
Hey truckers
I did a compression check on my old 235 last week and all 6 cylinders came in
about 10 lbs below the minimum. The manual said to put a little oil into the
cylinders and try it again. They all checked great after that. People are
telling me this indicated worn rings. Does any one have any theory on this?

I'm going to perform a leak-down check this week-end. I'm told you have to
listen at the tail pipe or intake for hissing (bad valves) or oil breather for
bad rings. Is this right? It doesn't seem very accurate. Does anyone know what
the PSI range is for this check?
Thanks for you help!