Re: [oletrucks] Head Gasket ?

To: "Rob J." <rjjmsj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Head Gasket ?
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:19:00 -0800
I have used this in the past with good luck. I have also used aluminum
paint. The purpose of this is to make sure that the heat of combustion that
the gasket picks up from the exposed edge gets transferred to the block so
the gasket doesn't over heat and burn through between the cylinders where
it's narrow. I think modern gaskets come with a coating that makes the
additional sealer unnecessary. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong as I'll
be installing a new head sometime in the next six months.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 01:04 PM 1/22/02 -0800, Rob J. wrote:
>I will be replacing my head gasket on my 235.  The head has been freshly
>surfaced, the block surface is clean.  I am using a Victor composite gasket.
>In the past, I've used Permatex Copper Spray Gasket Hi-Temp Adhesive
>Sealant, and wonder what the feelings are about using something like this.
>It is not an RTV-like product, but sprays on very thin, and fills the minute
>pores in the gasket...
>
>Anyway, just wondering what others' feelings are about this.
>Rob

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA