Re: [oletrucks] 216 to 235 swap

To: "Pete" <gators_r_gr8@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 216 to 235 swap
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:19:19 -0800
If you use a 54 or 55 first production engine it is a bolt-in swap. If you
use a 55 second production engine there is the fan to radiator clearance
issue to deal with. You can order a modified waterpump and pulley from
Patrick's Antique cars to solve this problem. Then, depending on haw big a
fan you use, you may have to drop the radiator in its frame about 2"  so
the fan clears the lower radiator hose. No big deal here. The Oil Pressure
gauge will peg at 30 when the engine is above idle, or anyway it should. If
you can find a GMC gauge that goes to 60PSI you can solve this issue. Mine
stayed pegged for 20 years before I got around to putting in the GMC gauge.
Good luck. Oh, one more thing; the starter has to match the flywheel.
12-volt starter-- 12-volt flywheel or 6-volt starter -- 6-volt flywheel.
The number of teeth on the flywheel are different.

Tom Allen
51 3800 w/ 55 2nd 235 engine

At 09:25 PM 1/29/02 -0500, Pete wrote:
>I'm thinking of swapping the 216 out of my '48 3/4ton to a 235.  Can anyone
>tell me the advantages/disadvantages, difficulty with the swap, etc...
>
>Thanks much,
>
>Pete

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA