Re: [oletrucks] 216 to 235 swap

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 216 to 235 swap
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:49:36 -0800
I did the same thing on my '50.  The advantages include insert bearings
(which is a huge advantage when overhauling the motor), a little more
horsepower, more availability of parts, and I know I'm forgetting something
else important here....hmmmm.  No disadvantages that I know about.

If I remember correctly, the only thing that I changed was the water pump
(to a short shaft so that it clears the radiator - you can either modify
yours or buy one new).  You might want to consider upgrading the flywheel
(or the ring gear) so that you can use a 12V starter.  I also used a heavy
duty flywheel and pressure plate while I was at it (larger diameter).  You
might want to also change the oil pressure gauge so that you get 0 to 60
psi.

One thing I advocate on this change over is if you are going through all the
effort, why not use a 261 block?  Everything between the 235 and 261 are
interchangeable except the pistons and connecting rods.  The obvious
advantage is the added horsepower.

Good luck with your change over.  It will be worth it.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100