RE: [oletrucks] Adjusting valves

To: "'Rob J.'" <rjjmsj@earthlink.net>, <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Adjusting valves
From: "William Gray" <william.gray@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:43:46 -0500
There are several ways to get the other pistons at TDC, after you've
established you're at TDC FIRING STROKE on #1.  Here's a couple:

Keep on rotating in the RUNNING DIRECTION; every 1200 the next piston in
the firing order will be at TDC, firing stroke.  Get/ make a degree
wheel for reference unless you have well calibrated eyeballs.  This is
easier on 8 cyl. engines, where the angle between is 900 (normally), or
4s, where it's 1800 (normally), much easier to eyeball than 120.

Or-

Get/make a piston stop.  I'll assume you want to make one; if you wanted
to just buy new stuff you'd be on newtrucks.com, not oletrucks.
Take the electrodes and ceramic out of an old spark plug, you want just
the steel shell.  Hammer work.  Find the biggest bolt that'll fit thru
the shell.  Grind the end of the bolt nice and round so you won't damage
your pistons.  Set up engine at #1 TDC firing stroke.  Screw plug shell
into #1 hole.  Insert rounded bolt until it touches piston (make sure
bolt is long enough it doesn't fall in).  Mark bolt relative to top of
plug shell.  Remove bolt and shell.  Set up bolt and shell for welding
or brazing.  Position bolt in shell so it'll go about 1/16" deeper in
the hole than your mark.  Weld/braze assy.  Maybe you could drill and
tap the plug shell instead of welding/brazing - that way it's
adjustable....
Now, starting at #1 TDC firing, you can use the piston stop on each hole
in firing order to get it to (or real close to) TDC.  Come up on it slow
and careful so you don't mar the piston or bend the stop.  The 1/16"
difference to true TDC won't hurt valve lash adjustment; the lifter is
on the cam's base circle this close to TDC. Should be OK for setting
ignition timing initially too.

Bill Gray
william.gray@snet.net