Re: [oletrucks] Looking for infos about my 56 dashboard, trans,

To: Spinningroach@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Looking for infos about my 56 dashboard, trans,
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 18:31:53 -0600
JP:

I've attached a photo from my '56 owner's manual that identifies all the
dash knobs.  Only one missing is the optional cigarette lighter that is
centered above the radio opening.  Hope this helps.

I too, have a '56.  You can see photos of my truck on the chevytrucks.org
website under '56 trucks.  When I bought my truck last summer the dash was
hacked-up for a late model radio and tape player (that doesn't work).  I
thought about being a 'purist' and replacing the radio opening with a patch
panel from several of the resto suppliers (Chevy Duty, Brothers, etc.).
They all sell a radio dash repair panel for approx. $65 which when you think
about buying all new chrome knobs and cables (at about $25 each) it can get
a little pricey.  Since I plan to upgrade to a carb with electric choke and
don't care about the heater, throttle, cigarette lighter, and ignition
switch controls, I opted to go with Brothers smooth steel panel that
replaces the whole front of the dash from the instrument cluster past the
glove box.  If you go to Brothers website and look through their on-line
catalog you can see an example of what the smooth dash looks like. Just
received the panel today and it was approx. $85 plus shipping from CA to IL.

I plan on installing a late model tilt steering column with ignition switch
on the column below the steering wheel and a 'hidden' radio/CD player under
the seat with a remote so the only thing I'll have on the dash is the
headlight switch and electric wiper switch.  Good luck with your work and
drop me a line and picture when you have the time.

Carl Ham
'56 TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL

>From: Spinningroach@aol.com
>To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
>Subject: [oletrucks] Looking for infos about my 56 dashboard, trans, and 68
>327  engine!
>Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:02:01 EST
>
>Hi everybody!
>
>I've been enjoying this list for 2 months already (I must have more than
>800
>e-mails archived) and thought someone could help me on this matter : I want
>to repray my dash board and replace all its knobs (I have a 56 stepside -
>non
>original). Does anyone have a scanned picture or drawing of what should be,
>and where on this dashbord - maybe from an owners manual it would really
>help
>me (I'll order a manual with the knobs, I promise!) - I've seen some vent
>knob and cable, throttle knob - what are these for, I don't have all these
>in
>my truck!
>
>Also, once I asked a question about my engine, a 327 from a 68 camaro - its
>L73 and never got an answer (someone said to check the mortec site, but I
>did
>not find the info there). Does anyone know about these particular 250 hp
>engines?? I have a few codes :
>
>The engine number is T0521HK.
>Water Pump : GM 3877660
>Another number on the front face of the block behind the fan belt : G 257
>Behind my Edelbrock carb, on the intake manifold : 89198008 (maybe a 3
>instead of the last 8), and next to it OM1, or GM1, and a T below.
>
>Last thing : I've been really interested lately in reading all the comments
>about rpms/freeway cruising. I don't have a clue about my transmission, but
>know I can't go fast at all : I have a Powerglide, and no idea about the
>ratio of my trans but there is whole bunch of numbers around the rear axle
>differential cover :
>
>Upper left : ON, or maybe DN or QN
>Upper right : 6801
>Lower right : 480882
>On the right part of the axle, next to the central unit : 281
>
>Any help about these 3 topics would really be appreciated. Again, thank you
>already for all the info gathered so far!
>
>Thanks! JP

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg which had a name of
1956ChevyTruck.jpg]