[oletrucks] Vehicle Scrapping Legislation

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Vehicle Scrapping Legislation
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 11:40:43 -0600
> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 21:59:44 -0800
> From: "Squatch56" <Squatch56@msn.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Federally funded vehicle scrap legislature
>
> : Your hobby is in danger! Proposed U.S. government legislation, U.S. Senate
> : Bill S.1766, would allocate federal funds for state scrappage programs
> : for vehicles more than 15 years old. In the process, it could threaten the
> : very existence of our hobby by:
> :
> : *Destroying 1960s and 70s era musclecars
> :
> : *Scrapping 1980s performance vehicles like Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes
> :
> : *Eliminating many non-performance vehicles which provide an invaluable
>parts source

-snip-

This is a neat can of worms...apparently it's based on mythical "fuel
savings" rather than the mythical "emissions reductions" that are in
current EPA regulations.

The interesting thing, which folks seem to forget, is that there are
already about 10,000,000 cars (just like those listed above!) going to
the junkyards to get scrapped EVERY YEAR in the US!!!  The only thing
this legislation will do, is to give our tax money to folks who decide
it's time to scrap their car.  The car was going to be scrapped anyways,
it was not going to be driven any more, it was not going to use up any
more gas, and it was not going to pollute any more.

It's worth writing your congresspeople, but it might help to address the
proposed legislation as just another federal waste of money, since it is
not actually going to DO anything!  The cars were going to be scrapped
anyways...

As it's not ole truck related, perhaps we ought to ban this type of
post?   :)

Jim