Re: [oletrucks] v-8 swap '51 chev p/u

To: Smallblocksteve1@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] v-8 swap '51 chev p/u
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 10:11:14 -0800
In a wrecking yard near me a couple of years ago I saw a 55-1st production
1-ton panel with a V8 and stock 4-speed. the V8 bell housing was shaped
similar to the I-6 housing and appeared to have stock I-6 motor mounts
bolted between it and the stock-appearing cross member. The steering box
was in the stock location. The front motor mounts were bolted at the front
of the block in the early V8 fashion. The brackets attaching the front
mounts to the frame appeared to have been fabricated but were well
done.  The engine was a 265 with road-draft breather tube. 2bbl carb, oil
bath air cleaner, and by-pass type oil filter. The exhaust manifolds were
missing as were the Bendix brake drums and backing plates. If only I'd
gotten there sooner!

I believe that the early 265 manifolds exited at the front or back
(depending on whether fitted to the left or right side of the engine),
which would have left room for the steering box. As I say, the manifolds
were gone so I can't be sure what had been there. Perhaps this was one of
the rumored V8 AD models produced in early 55. I also believe there were
some Nova models that had similar manifolds. You might also by a header
flange kit and make headers that go around the steering box. I've seen
headers advertised in Summit and elsewhere for tight situations. This must
be a common swap and I have to believe that someone makes a header for this
application if it's possible to do.

All in all, it might be easier to go to a late steering box that mounts
forward on the frame.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 10:03 AM 2/5/02 -0500, Smallblocksteve1@aol.com wrote:
>has anyone put a v-8 in a '48 to '54 chevy p/u using stock steering without
>moving the box out?  Which manifolds, headers etc. worked? Any special tips?

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA