[oletrucks] 235 oiling ?

To: "_Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] 235 oiling ?
From: "Rob J." <rjjmsj@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 07:58:40 -0800
I seem to recall from a previous thread, that there is supposed to be an
oiling line behind the tappet cover.  I finally had a reason to remove my
cover, and took a picture (see link below).  What I don't recall, is whether
or not this line was present in ALL 235 engines regardless of whether or not
they were solid or hydraulic, or maybe only present in those with solid
lifters, but not hydraulics (and vice versa), or maybe only in certain
years.  In the picture, the green arrow points to a plug in what I suspect
is an oil gallery going to the rocker arms, but in my case, is plugged off
and not being used.  I would think that somewhere in the yellow highlighted
area, should be another plug, but in my case, there is nothing, ie. not
holes that I can see.  I have had to route an external oil line from the
rear of the block on the opposite side, around the back of the block, and
plumb it into the rocker arm oiling setup at the green arrow.  While this
end-around approach has worked and gets good oil to the rockers, as long as
I have the engine down and being worked on, I thought that maybe I could fix
the lack of the oil line behind the cover.  If anyone knows what should be
there, and whether or not I could maybe tap a line in by drilling into the
yellow area and tapping the hole for a fitting, or knows of anyway to get
rid of the external oil line, I would appreciate discussing this with you.