[oletrucks] Re: [old-chevy-truck] Re: 235 oiling ?

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: [old-chevy-truck] Re: 235 oiling ?
From: "Rob J." <rjjmsj@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:17:10 -0800
Thanks for the site Jim,

But in regard to your suggestion...that is exactly my problem...ie. there is
NO internal channel (tube) to clear (or if there is, I sure would like to
know how it runs).  As far as I can tell, there is not any feed off the rear
cam bearing as several of the posts mention.  I did see that one of the
posts, says: "I didn't think they still used an oil feed line off rear
bearing after '57 year.", but they don't say what would have taken its
place.  Maybe an internal channel?  If so, maybe mine is blocked - by the
modified head bolt that I don't have?

I do know, that when I first rebuilt the engine and started it, there was no
oil getting to the rockers, so I asked an old fart what might be the
problem, and all he said, was to run the external line, which I did and got
good oil, so never worried about it, but I did THINK about it alot and told
myself that the first time I had cause to pull the lifter cover, I would put
the line that should have been there back on...well, that is until I DID
have the cover off, and can not see any way to PUT the line on, as I can not
see any place to attach it near the rear of the lifter gallery where I
expected to see some type of hole to hook a tube/line into...it just isn't
there.

This seems to fit more in line with the guy who said that after '57 they
didn't use the line, but that only makes me wonder how the oil would have
gotten to the rockers then, in the first place...

Plus, I also wonder about the comments regarding the one head bolt with the
recessed area by the head...all mine look the same, except for length.  10
of one length, 8 of the other, but none that has a configuation different
than the rest, so, MAYBE, I was cutting off my internal oil supply by using
the wrong type of bolt???

But, thanks for the site...it certainly offered some info I was not aware
of, but it also made me realize I have more detective work to do :-)

Rob