[oletrucks] Head gasket installation ?

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Head gasket installation ?
From: "Rob J." <a70ragtop@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:20:26 -0800
A couple of questions about head gaskets installation.  First off, the head
gasket I'll be using is a Fel-Pro.  Haven't picked it up yet, but if it is
like my last one, it is all copper.  First question:  can the fel-pro all
copper gaskets be reused if for some reason the head has to be removed for
something other than a blown gasket (ie. say for a valve job)?

2nd:  When installing the head gasket, I know most people say not to use any
type of coating on the gasket, but some say to put a very (very) small dab of
RTV around water holes.  I'm just looking for a consensus and will go with
whichever version wins out.  Vote once, not OFTEN :-)  If going the RTV route,
is the RTV placed on the gasket (one or both sides?), or on the block, or on
the block & head?

3rd:  IF I put on a head that tests as being uncracked, both by magnafluxing
AND pressure testing, and I still am getting combustion gases into the water
jacket, what are possible causes other than cracked head (oh yeah, head is
also freshly surfaced so any warpage is not in the head).  Can cracks develop
in the cylinders themselves allowing gases to enter the water jacket (engine
is bored 0.060 over)?  Can an engine block become "warped"?  Any other ways
for gas to enter the water jacket I am overlooking?

TIA,

Rob

My Zen Moment for the Day: It is far more impressive when others discover your
good qualities, without your help.