Re: [oletrucks] How to fix stripped holes on hood ornaments ...

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] How to fix stripped holes on hood ornaments ...
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:33:32 EST
    First, you need to make sure the hole is ROUGH inside. A smoothly drilled
hole won't hold anything. Also, you need to wobble the drill tip inside the
upper part of the hole, or use a Dremel tiny-tipped ball-style grinding tool
to get inside the hole and enlarge it deep inside, so anything you put into
the hole can't slide out ( a larger object can't fit thru a smaller hole,
basic physics ). Then it should hold. I agree with the other guy, though, I
think you're better off JBing a stud into it, rather than trying to retap
holes, unless you have some pot-metal welding rods and can fill the hole with
a like substance, there's not going to be enough strength to cut threads into
the new plug UNLESS you REALLY drill the hole much larger, and fill it with
the new stuff. Not something I'd risk. Either weld it up right with similar
metal, or JB some studs into it. Thats' my opinion. Good luck!

Jerry
'55 2nd TF Chevy Suburban project