[oletrucks] re: tranny/ rear end

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] re: tranny/ rear end
From: Keith Durand <kdurand@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:29:43 -0500
The formula is not logarithmic. In fact, it couldn't be any more linear.
The proportional example is a fine way to work the problem, if you have
a tach hooked up. Otherwise, a good formula to use is (mph x gear ratio
x 336)/ tire diameter

tire diameter is in inches

A TH700-R4 has a final drive of .70:1. To figure RPM with one of these,
multiply your rear gear ratio by .70.

For those who care for theory, 336 is a constant with the dimensions rpm
x in x hr per mile. You could do a dimensional analysis and compute this
number.

I used a Chrysler 8 3/4 inch rearend on my truck-- very strong and hella
cheap. I paid 100 for the entire rear. It came with 2.93 gears, which
were no fun with a 700 overdrive. I got 3.55 gears, and the truck is
much happier now. Engine turns 2087 rpm at 70 mph.

http://www.mit.edu/~kdurand