Re: [oletrucks] Oil brands

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Oil brands
From: James Collins <jxc7@psu.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 13:21:34 -0500
Bob writes:

The only thing I've ever heard that is a flat out no-no is to use detergent
oil in an engine after it has had non-detergent oil in it for quite a while.

Question:

What should one do if there is no certainty as to the detergent
status as is often the case when buying a truck from a widow etc.?

  I realize there are obvious "opinions" regarding this question, but
I'm holding out that there may also be a perhaps more "scientific"
answer as well. I hold common sense in high regard,but also respect
the supplement of "wisdom" when it is available.

James