[oletrucks] flushing engines- TOM

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] flushing engines- TOM
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 14:51:06 -0700
When you take the spark plugs out, you reduce the tension on the bearings to
almost nothing, probably enough so even a navy AD could turn it by hand. I
stick to my first suggestion: use a good name brand oil and change oil often.
And a word of warning to anyone starting a newly rebuilt IH 345 V-8--run the
oil pump twice to prelube the engine after turning the engine one complete
revolution.. The heads are oiled on every other turn of the engine. If you
only oil it once, you will starve one set of valves and that valve train. Tom,
we missed each other at NAS Alameda. I was there in Jan-59 to June 1962 in the
photo lab, and again in August 1969-March 1972 as a temporary warrant
photographer in Ranger (CVA-61), Bob KNOTTS, PHCM, USN, RET. (Bob K in PHX AZ)