[oletrucks] Where do you start

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Where do you start
From: "Paul Moon" <capt2th@tehama.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:01:25 -0800
It is my opinion to first decide to what level you want to restore your truck.
A "looks nice" daily driver, used like a truck is meant to be used, or a
modified hot rod power machine, or a show piece of either of the above.

If you go to the frame, and start from there, it is hard to compromise as you
progress.  Each nut and bolt cries out to be polished, and every part wants
for new paint.  You think, "Well I might as well while I'm here, since it is
easier now than later".

It can snowball quickly.  Doing all the work yourself demands more time than
you can estimate in advance.  (Although that is the fun of it sometimes)

I chose to go to the frame, and didn't compromise on the way to completion.  I
have a show quality truck 95% done, and still working.  The cost, well lets
not go there.

Take lots of pictures as you disassemble each part (digital is cool and
instant)  Try to remember where you put things.  At my age half my time was
spent in search.

Good luck.  It IS worth the effort.

Paul of Red Bluff