[oletrucks] New Weatherstrip - Now Doors Won't close!!!

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] New Weatherstrip - Now Doors Won't close!!!
From: Dave <dave@juniorbaseball.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:12:03 -0800
Hi all - Dave here with son Dusty's '50 GMC.
  Last night we carefully fitted new weatherstripping to the doors, taking
great care to get it on straight and smooth, applying just enough 3M
Weatherstrip cement, and even turning it up at the bottom and securing with
the metal strip (as seen in that photo in "Restoring Your Chevrolet
Pickup").
  It looks great. And the doors won't close. Not even close. In fact, the
bottom half of the doors bow out so much now that even if I COULD push the
door hard enough to latch, the lower parts would bow out the full thickness
of the new rubber!
  The rubber is from Jim Carter, apparently (or supposedly) exactly like
original. Are they selling stuff that is too thick? Or is there some secret
to getting these doors to close like they did before we put this stuff on?
  We're really upset about this, considering the prospect of possibly having
to remove this rubber and ruining a sano paintjob and door detailing.
  Help!!!!

Dave Destler