[oletrucks] spray deposition for metal repair

To: napco4x4@yahoogroups.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] spray deposition for metal repair
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:00:44 -0700 (PDT)
While parts hunting at the Knoxville Corvette Expo Friday, I came across a
collision
repair and custom/restoration body shop's vendor table.  They had samples of
rusted out
panels that had been sandblasted and repaired with a metal spray deposition
technology.
The holes and pits are filled with sprayed on metal--zinc, aluminum, bronze,
etc. and
then ground down.  It looked very good.

Seems like this would be perfect for fenders, headlight eye brows, floors,
steps,
quarter panels, doors, etc...any non structural component.

Is anyone familiar with this approach?  I was planning on trying some parts
with these
guys.

I remember seeing something very similar on an AMC channel 50's era newsreel
where they
used vapor deposition to cover over nonmetallic objects.

Besides the regular rusted out body panel restoration, I'm trying to work out
details on
a 35-37 Suburban we found in MS.  It would need alot of recreated sheet metal
and this
approach may help.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Chevy Suburban