Re: [oletrucks] oil dipstick tube

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] oil dipstick tube
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 21:49:16 -0700
My old dipstick tube went up from above the oil pan area; it was a
flanged piece of brake line or something.  What are you doing in place
of the breather tube, installing a pcv system?  How is that going?  I
have the parts for mine, but I haven't gotten that round tuit thingy
yet.
Ed Miller
'58 Apache Short Fleetside

Lists:  A few weeks ago I asked about removal of oil
dipstick tube.  I got several responses and here is
what worked.  I tried vice grips, but that tended to
oval the tube.  I tried fastening a small stainless
hose clamp to the tube and tapping on it with a
hammer.  In addition to bending the tube, the clamp
wanted to slip.  I finally was successful when I found
a piece of one quarter inch round stock,I'm guessing
on the size, inserted it about a inch and a half into
the top of the tube, fastened the stainless clamp
around that area, and used the hammer.  It came out
fairly easily then.  I also was successful in getting
the crankcase ventilation tube out using a chain
wrench and my size eleven.  It took some persuasion to
get it to move in the beginning.  So I got a couple
things done this weekend.

Ron