Re: [oletrucks] tuned port injection

To: laurie <lauriecorbett@ns.sympatico.ca>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] tuned port injection
From: Jon <stkcode@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:39:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Mike,

I'm going to be putting one on my 350 which is going
to be stroked to a 383 but not quite yet.  Actually,
I'm going with MPFI (MultiPort Fuel Injection) for
best performance.  I think you should go with TBI
(Throttle Body Injection) and not TPI (Tunnel Port
Injection).  TPI will be more expensive but will get
better performance.  However...this would require the
entire intake to be replaced...along with the
distributor and possibly even the cam depending on
your setup.

With TBI, all that you should need is the throttle
body...which is really just a carb with two fuel
injectors on it, the computer to control it, and an
electric fuel pump with regulator.  Also, with TBI, I
u just need the minimal amount of sensors (which their
would be 3 of them).  You only need 3 sensors to run
fuel injection but all 7 would be best.  Better fuel
injection systems like MPFI, have a MAP computer with
7 sensors.  You also might need to replace or add a
section on your exhaust manifold or headers for the O2
sensor.

Both TPI and TBI cannot handle a lot of horse power
and torque.  If your 350 is over 350 horsepower, I
suggest not going with either one if you get them off
a production vehicle (i.e. late 80's Camaro).  I'm
looking at running 450 + HP and around 600 pounds of
torque.  Thats why I'm going to MPFI, which can handle
up to 500 HP for small blocks.

Sorry to say but it probably wont be that cheap.  If
you get an existing setup off another vehicle you'll
still probably have to reprogram the computer for your
engine setup.  Running an already carb engine...I'd
say stay with the carb until you decide to rebuild it.
They maybe jump to the injection setup so that
everything works right together.  It will probably
save you a lot of time and agravation.

Just my 2 cents...

--- laurie <lauriecorbett@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> has anyone put tuned port on there old trucks?
> i have a 55 second and i have a tpi system from a 88
> firebird
> it has a 350 with a 400 tranny i need to buy a carb
> anyway so i thought this
> would be just as cheep and look different too
> any ideas on wiring?
> or any other helpful info or pros/cons
> thanks
> mike
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

=====
Jon
1953 3100 Deluxe Cab (Project)