RE: [oletrucks] Radiator Fan

To: STELLMAN@noex.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Radiator Fan
From: josiah.bartlett@exgate.tek.com
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 13:26:25 -0700
There are several grades of electric fans available with varying CFM
abilities. You need to get one with the highest CFM you can find. Most of
the off the shelf autoparts specials don't pull enough air, not nearly as
much as a mechanical fan. If one big fan doesn't cover the full area of the
radiator get two or three smaller ones. A pusher and puller on the same
radiator can actually hurt cooling performance because the turbulance from
the blades of the pusher can ruin the efficiency of the puller and the CFM
drops more than just the puller would provide. Alternately relocate the A/C
condensor to a differant location and use a separate fan just for it.
I ran into difficulties like yours with a Willys Jeep with a Buick 225
transplant and I had to do a lot of creative fan work because there wasn't
much space between the radiator and the engine.