Re: [oletrucks] My Truck Arrived Today!!

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] My Truck Arrived Today!!
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 11:30:46 -0500
Assume you are talking about the stock ignition with points and condenser.

Replace the points and condenser (inside the distributor) with new
ones.  Set the point gap at 0.019 inches to start with.

Pull out a spark plug and ground the threaded part and turn the truck
over.  You should see a spark.  If you don't, hook the spark plug
wire up directly to the top of the coil and turn the engine over.
If you get a spark now, you have a problem in the distributor cap
(water or arcing) or with the rotor (worn out)  If you don't get
a spark, you have a problem with the low voltage wiring of the coil,
probably with the points or condensor.

To answer your question about wiring, the + on the coil should be
connected to the ignition switch.  It should have power when the
key is on.  There is no ballast resistor on a 6V system.

The - on the coil should be connected to the points in the distributor.
The points are a switch that grounds the coil and makes the spark.

For the engine to fire, you have  to have compression, spark, and
fuel all at the same time.  Compression is usually there, at least
enough to make a chuff.

If you are getting a spark, put a cap full of gas down the carburator
and try rolling it over with the choke open.  If it now fires for
a few seconds, your problem is with the fuel system.  Something is
plugged or the fuel pump isn't working.  Fix whatever is wrong there.
If you disconnect the fuel line from the carb and put it into a
can, you should get a good shot of gas from the line.  The problem
is then probably in the carb, like a stuck float.

Also, check the gas.  If it has been sitting in the tank for even
a few months with todays fuels it can get pretty stale.  I don't
know how to explain the smell of old gas except that it smells sweet
somehow.  Gas with water smells sort of sour.  In either case, drain
the gas out and start with fresh fuel.

One of these things should get it going, at least a little.  Once
you can get it to fire, it doesn't take much to get it to run.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Saturday, 4 May 2002, you wrote:

>Hello All, Well my 1954 Chevy Deluxe 3100 pickup arrived today.
Sure was nice
>to see my brother pull up with her sitting on the trailer. Well
I have a few