Re: [oletrucks] Voltmeter or Ammeter, and Current

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Voltmeter or Ammeter, and Current
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 08:08:58 -0700 (PDT)
Jim's commentary on this subject is better than mine.  I agree with the fusible
link or
installation of a fuse in the ammeter circuit.

My 58 NAPCO will be straight stock but I can hide a fusible link in there
easily.  My
Chevy Sub will absolutely have AC at least and I'd like to do a slight upscale
radio/casette/CD player upgrade (original appearing radio, hidden casette/CD, no
gigawatt amplifiers necessary), but I want to keep the stock gauges so I may
have to
innovate here.  I'll probably put a fuse in the ammeter circuit and look at
adding an
extra couple of circuits for the aux stuff, hidden, of course.

This has been a good calibration for me; itl's important to understand what
people are
comfortable with.  I work in close proximity with this stuff on a daily basis,
and it's
easy to take it for granted and to become complacent.   Just got done this last
week
helping a mech engr coworker size a current shunt, and isolated voltage
amplifiers (one
millivolt for the current shunt  and one higher voltage for the load) to take
data for a
high voltage fuel cell power generation test (for a robot, not a car).

Good luck whichever modification you choose and Jim's right; be careful.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Chevy Suburban, V8, 3-speed + OD
58 GMC NAPCO factory 4wd, 6  cyl, 4-speed, original power steering, wideside
(fleetside)
59 GMC Suburban
Knoxville,TN

On Sat, 04 May 2002, J Forbes wrote