[oletrucks] Voltmeter or Ammeter, and Current

To: "[oletrucks]"@MIT.EDU, Voltmeter@MIT.EDU, or@MIT.EDU,
Subject: [oletrucks] Voltmeter or Ammeter, and Current
From: Keith Durand <kdurand@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 22:38:37 -0400
I really like Jim Forbes idea of placing an idiot light where the
ammeter used to be. However, it is too late for me to do this to my
truck. I did completely rewire my truck, and I retained the factory
ammeter. My reasoning is this:
Not all current flows through the ammeter. Yes, the wiring carries the
same current, whether it's run inside or outside of the cab. Some people
object to heavy wiring under the dash. However, the ammmeter only sees
current flowing into or out of the battery. When the engine is running
and the charging system has reached steady state, the ammeter sees
virtually no current. If the engine is shut off, however, all loads that
are on will draw the power through the ammeter. I don't have a stereo,
PW, or AC, so all will be ok.

Some also argue that an ammeter is more useful than a voltmeter for
diagnosing charging problems. There is some truth in this, in that an
ammeter shows exactly what is going to or coming from the battery. If
the ammeter stays pegged "charge" all the time, there is likely an
internal short in the battery. If it constantly indicates "discharge,"
there is likely a problem with the generator, or alternator, as the case
may be.

www.mit.edu/~kdurand
(soon to be injected) 1956 3100