RE: [oletrucks] Could they have been that stupid to put all

To: <SurfDudeSC@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Could they have been that stupid to put all
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 08:05:28 -0500
57 GMCs did not have a voltmeter as an option.  The 1/2 tons only had an "idiot
light", which will not work with the alternator.  The larger trucks had an
ammeter which does require that all current to be measured pass through it.  I
found an ammeter from a big truck and installed it in my 57 using 10 gauge
wire.  I soldered the connectors to the wire (didn't use crimp-ons) and have
had no problems in two years of everyday use.  That includes air-conditioning
in the Houston summer (March through at least October).

Voltmeters do not require large amounts of current.  If that is what you are
actually using an 18 gauge wire would do the job nicely.  But if you are using
a voltmeter you need to connect all three wires mentioned in your e-mail
together.