Re: [oletrucks] 79 caprice rear end

To: "George C. Perez" <gp670@visi.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 79 caprice rear end
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:59:24 -0400
George,
   Compare width measurement between your original one and the one from the
caprice. This will tell ya if it will fit, measure from the outsides of the
brake drum (area where the wheel meets the drum), and measure the caprice
one. Now you'll have to do the usual of removing all the brackets from the
caprice one and weld on spring pads to match up to the leaf
springs--measure 3 times and weld once. Probably have to get another drive
shaft as the length may be a little different. Any drive line shop can make
or shorten/lengthen and balance one. If the width is close--you'll be
ok.  Gear ratio is another thing to check on the donor rear end. Most like
its a better gear that the 3.90 original rear.  --wayne

At 12:43 PM 5/17/02 -0400, George C. Perez wrote:
>Hey All:I came across a 79 caprice rear end and was wondering if this
>would be a good match for 55 1/2 ton TF I plan on running a 350 with
>700r trans Will it fit.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>George

Wayne Osborne