Re: [oletrucks] Fw: rear end 355 or ?

To: <josiah.bartlett@exgate.tek.com>, <givens@hal-pc.org>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fw: rear end 355 or ?
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:09:53 -0500
Also, as I have been collecting, you might consider going with an OD tranny
(55 or later, open drive shaft) & consider using a stock pickup (55 or
later) open 4.11 setup (does require minor spring mount mods) & get double
(or half; depends how you look at it) the end ratio (approx; the Borg
Warner's are a 30% reduction) & get 6 gears to boot. This way you don't
loose your starting 1st gear ratio i.e torque.  And YOU have more weight
than a pickup to get off the line.

I wanted to go with a 3.70 or close rear ratio (I understand 70's/80's type
4WD Blazer rear end's fit width real well & only minor mounting mods. & the
4WD keeps the 6 lug chevy wheel bolt pattern).  I then talked to a list
member that has used a 60's open 4.11 setup with a 55 type OD tranny on his
AD PU & said he's has gotten more than a few tickets for 70+ (more than I
would want to go with a stock front end setup).

Understand, though, that OD tranny (with free wheeling type operation)
requires different driving skills.  Let me know (off list) if this interests
you & I can point you to many info web pages; mostly from our list members!

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com
Denton, TX