Re: [oletrucks] Vacuum Wipers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Vacuum Wipers
From: "Dustin Cross" <livnrt@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:57:28 -0600
I just put an electric wiper motor from chevy duty into my '51    I like the
motor (works great) but I absolutely hate the switch!   I paid an extra $20
for a switch that would also run the wiper fluid pump   aside from the fact
that the switch is ugly   I had to bend the spade connectors so they would
clear the motor     looking back I'm thinking I should have mounted the
switch out of sight under the dash and left the stock switch in for looks

before swapping I put a vacuum resivour with a one way valve (from a brake
booster)   it helped but my wiper motor was too far gone   I figured if I
had to spend money on it I'd just go electric

Dustin

A couple of questions before you decide.  Would you like to keep your vacuum
wipers (are you a 'pure' resto person, or do electric wipers sound more
convenient)?  If you want to stay vacuum, check your vacuum source (it may
not be strong enough).  Some early trucks had a combination fuel/vacuum pump
(mechanical) that provided adequate vacuum for wipers.  If you replaced your
original engine with a high performance (i.e.: wild cam and carb), your
engine may not be creating enough vacuum to power the wipers.  You may also
want to check your control knob and other hoses for leaks.  There are
several vendors who sell rebuilt vacuum wiper motors (Bowtie Bits is the
only one that comes to mind right now), but there are others.  Check Wayne's
chevytrucks.org website and click on vendors and then check a few on-line
catalogs.

If you want to go electric, many vendors sell an electric motor and the
prices may vary significantly (for the same unit, most are made by a company
called Newport Engineering).  I just replaced my vacuum motor in my '56 with
an electric unit purchased from Chevy Duty for approx. $135.00 (a Newport
Engineering model).  I haven't had my truck running yet (I'm in the process
of rewiring the whole vehicle), so I can't tell you how good or bad mine
works.  Depending on what you want (standard 2 speed motor or deluxe with
intermittent wipers like the new cars), you can spend up to $400.00

Shop around and keep asking question on this message board.  I've found many
out there are willing to share their good and bad experiences.  Good Luck.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL