Re: [oletrucks] clutch trouble in my '59 Chevy

To: "trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] clutch trouble in my '59 Chevy
From: "Ryan Langford" <rlangford@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 07:58:02 -0700
> make it fit after quite a while I've now got all but the original clutch
> fork in but it just won't go in, there just doesn't seem to be enough
> space between the pressure plate and the knob the clutch fork sits on to
> squeeze it in.  All my ideas have failed and the truck hasn't even moved
> this summer.  I hope somebody out  there has already gone through this
> and can offer a few suggestions.

I've never done a clutch on this old of a truck, but I have done
lots of clutches in general.  Only thing I can suggest is check over
your parts.  Make sure the friction plate splines match the tranny
input shaft.  Make sure you have the friction plate facing the right
way (usually springs facing pressure plate).

But the biggest one, that throws off people the most, aligning
the friction plate using the alignment tool, isn't enough.  The
tool will get you close, but you have to go a step further.

Put everything in place, put in the bolts for the pressure place
but only finger tight.  Then feel the friction plate edge through
the holes on the outside of the pressure plate.  You will find
that you can feel how far off the friction plate is, and then move
it slightly until you get it so its exactly even on all sides. Then
tighten the pressure plate bolts, and recheck your alignment.

After that, lube you splits, and when putting the tranny
in, sometimes it helps to spin the shaft a bit, but if you
have the friction plate aligned perfectly, don't even need
to do that most times.  Usually literally falls on.

Hope this helps.

Ryan
rlangford@attbi.com