Re: [oletrucks] Engine troubles

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine troubles
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:25:21 -0500
Since it wants to run with the starter engaged, sounds like a spark
problem.  Is the main lead to the ignition still through the ballast
resistor?  If so, you may not have enough voltage to get a spark
once you get off the starter.  Bet that fancy new electronic ignition
is set up to work with 12 volts.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Saturday, 24 August 2002, you wrote:

>Yeah...did that once before too...long story, but make sure your
wife knows
>that "let me know when you feel compression" doesn't mean the compression
of
>her finger being sucked INTO the spark plug hole, but the "compression"
of
>the cylinder (which of course means to any REASONABLE person, the
pushing of
>one's finger OUT of the hole :-)  She forgave me, (and I her) in
less than a
>year.
>
>Rob

I'd
>> made...

As long as I
>> am
>> > pumping the gas, and using the foot starter, it is hitting,
but as soon
>as
>> > let off either, it dies.
>> >
>> > The previous engine was a 235 overbored to .060 and was running
dual
>> > rochester 1 bbl carbs.  This new engine is only a .040 overbore,
and set
>> up
>> > with the same carb set up.  I suspect it may be running a bit
rich since
>> > there is less total displacement, but should that be enough
to cause it
>> > just not run at all?
>> >
>> > How can I check various items to see what it needs to run right?
>> >
>> > I have a single intake I could put on, and could put points
in instead
>of
>> > the Pertronix I am currently using (forgot to mention I was using a
>> > Pertronix dist on the last engine and it has moved to the new
engine.

>> > Any thoughts or what I can try to maybe lean out the carbs without
>> resorting
>> > to changing out the jets (ie. just to see if that is the problem?).
>> >
>> > I put new spark plugs in (correctly gapped) and the rotor and
dist. cap
>> are
>> > nearly new.
>> >
>> > I have to get this running as I am due to drive to Idaho from
Seattle