[oletrucks] Engine troubles

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Engine troubles
From: "Rob J." <robertjacobs@ureach.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 13:39:14 -0700
Got the 235 rebuilt...build went just fine.  I got it dropped in just fine,
but am having trouble firing it off.  I am getting spark, good
compression...checked all cylinders and they range from a low of 105, to a
high of 113.  I suspect it is either a timing issue, or carburation.  I have
the rotor set at dead TDC for the #1 cylinder...checked and rechecked my
valve lash, but it just won't fire...actually, I am getting combustion, but
I just can't seem to get it to sustain and run on its own.  As long as I am
pumping the gas, and using the foot starter, it is hitting, but as soon as I
let off either, it dies.

The previous engine was a 235 overbored to .060 and was running dual
rochester 1 bbl carbs.  This new engine is only a .040 overbore, and set up
with the same carb set up.  I suspect it may be running a bit rich since
there is less total displacement, but should that be enough to cause it to
just not run at all?

How can I check various items to see what it needs to run right?

I have a single intake I could put on, and could put points in instead of
the Pertronix I am currently using (forgot to mention I was using a
Pertronix dist on the last engine and it has moved to the new engine.

Any thoughts or what I can try to maybe lean out the carbs without resorting
to changing out the jets (ie. just to see if that is the problem?).

I put new spark plugs in (correctly gapped) and the rotor and dist. cap are
nearly new.

I have to get this running as I am due to drive to Idaho from Seattle next
Wednesday.

TIA,
Rob