Re: [oletrucks] survey of high-speed options

To: "tim" <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>, "Ole Truckers"
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] survey of high-speed options
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 06:54:38 -0400
Following sequence was done on my '51 GMC 1/2 ton over a period of several
years. Original rear was 4.11 and rear tires were 7.50 x 16:

1. Installed Patricks Saginaw 4-speed conversion
2. Installed Patricks 3.55 ring & pinion and at same time, changed to
205-70R15 rear tires. Net effect was zero or worse.
3. Added Saginaw overdrive to the 4-speed, ditched torque tube, installed
open drive '57 truck rear w 3.90 rear. Net ratio now 2.73 in overdrive.
4. Combined Camaro T5 (2.95 1st gear) with S10 tailhousing to replace the
Saginaw as OD parts are becoming scarce.
5. Next step: Ford 9" rear 3.89 ratio.

Jack / Winter Park FL