[oletrucks] re: CA Title

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] re: CA Title
From: "Ryan Border" <rborder@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:46:19 -0600
mrosspa@cs.com wrote:

> When you go to the DMV in California, make it clear to them that the truck
> hasn't been on the road all that time. They will only make you pay full
> registration fees if the vehicle has been on the road.

I hope things turn out to be this simple.  Last time I ran into this, they
weren't.  I purchased a completely disassembled Harley, which hadn't been on
the road in about 7 years.   The CA DMV, assumed me guilty until proven
innocent- their position being that since the bike hadn't been registered as
a non-running vehicle (for a small nominal fee) by the previous owner, it
could have been on the road- and therefore I needed to pay the 7 years of
full back-registration, with penalties as I remember.

I took major internal engine parts, wrapped in 7 year old newspaper as
"proof"... no good.  Tried the same thing with the crank-case (including the
VIN)... no good.

In the end, I visited every DMV within about a 50 mile radius (I was in the
Bay Area, so had a few to choose from) until I found a sympathetic DMV
worker, who agreed to waive about half the fees.

With 20-20 hindsight, it might be worth working with a close friend
(somebody you trust) from out of state.  "Sell" them the truck, have them
register it, get the out-of-state title, and then sell it back to you.  Tell
the DMV the truck has been out of state for 10 years (hence the lack of
registration), you've purchased it from your friend, etc.  This was my
backup plan (working with my Dad) before I got lucky with the DMV worker.

Good Luck-
Ryan Border.
http://home.earthink.net/~rborder/truck