[oletrucks] Rear End swap advice

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Rear End swap advice
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:45:39 -0500
Went to my last car show/swap meet of the season yesterday and now I'm
planning my next project for the winter months.  Want to replace my original
rear end (3.90 or 4.10 ratio gears) with an up-to-date rear that is easy to
maintenance.  I have a 2004R auto tranny behind a 283 V8 engine.  Crusing
speed is not too bad (2000 RPM @ 65 MPH), so I don't think I need to go
lower in ratio.  Would like to use original springs as they are in good
shape. It has been suggested I use a Chevy S10 pickup rear end as the axle
width is about the same as my original rear end.

Anyone have any experience they'd like to share?  Does anyone know of any
links to web sites with tech articles regarding rear end
swaps/woes/pitfalls?  Thanks in advance.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL