[oletrucks] off-topic; bbc water pump question

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] off-topic; bbc water pump question
From: "Ryan Border" <rborder@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:05:35 -0600
I've got a 454bbc sitting in the engine bay of my '55 2nd.  Brought home a
water pump from my local auto-parts store; I believe it was for a '72 Chevy
truck.  I've got clearance problems (fan/radiator), and would probably have
to run electric pusher fans with this pump.

I know there are 2 styles of water-pump for the big-block; long and short.
I'm pretty sure this is a "long" one.

Question 1: What stock application used the "short" pump?  It's useless to
ask the counter guys for a short pump; they need to know a year/model car.

Question 2: I know the alternator brackets, pulley's, etc., are different
for the 2 pumps (I have neither, and will buy them later)- but, I just want
to be sure that there is a power-steering setup available with the short
pump.  Yes?

Thanks-
Ryan.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck