Re: [oletrucks] rims

To: <Wdonohoe1@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rims
From: "glperry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:28:44 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Bill,
 I just went thru this on my 50 one-ton. It had the 18" wheels, nice looking
 but no one would work on them and tires impossible to find or too much $.
  16" modern duals fit over brakes on front, but stud holes are bigger. They
won't fit over brakes in back. I went to 19.5" wheels with 8-bolt pattern.
They were off a 59 or 60 one-ton fella thought. They have correct 1/2" holes
for smaller studs. They do fit under the front fenders w/out hitting, yet
take up quite the bit of room there. Rear is fine. These take 8" radial
tires. They were used on Motor homes and Delivery chassis trucks. I got mine
from a fella who sells delivery van trucks. The later ones are same, 'cept
have 5/8" stud holes. I may need one more, and may go that route, keep it
inside of duals. Bolt patterns are same. I have gotten used 19.5 tires from
people who had spare Motorhome wheels. Some of these are 10-lug, has to be
the 8-lug. Try big truck tire stores that may have used wheels or Camper
sales lots, delivery truck sales, etc. Even some truck junkyards may have
them.
 I paid about $50 a wheel and about same for two tires on 10-lug wheels
which I switched to the 8-lug. I can use the 10-lug on  my 2-ton trucks for
modern tires on them.
  Good Luck, just a lot of messin' around lookin' !

G. L. Perry
Huntington, IN