Re: [oletrucks] Trans/Speedo gears

To: <Mask1966@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Trans/Speedo gears
From: "glperry" <glperry@fwi.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:56:19 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Here's what I did with a Camaro that someone put a four-spd rear in when it
had automatic. First, understand that there are gears on cable end in tail
pc you can pull out, and there is one on shaft you can pull off after
removing the tail housing and driveshaft of course. They are different
colors for diff ratios. AND, I had to change from car housing with small
opening to a truck type with large gear opening to get into gears I needed.
Housings bolt up same to trans. THEN, large ones have three diff gear
holders to go in housing that only take a "range" of gears or colors before
needing another holder. I lived near a trans shop that I knew fellas good,
and he had a whole drawer full of used gears and holders. I was allowed to
pick ones I wanted to try as long as I switched with ones I already had and
experimented that way. Not everyone is gonna have that option I'm sure.
  One thing you may do is pick a year your rear-end may have been from, size
of tires and trans and go to a dealer to see what the truck may have had
when built. That would be a start. Keep in mind it will be a lot of trial
and error, mostly error till you get right. I was only able to get to about
5mph on the Camaro but called it good enough. Good luck BTDT, not again, I
hope!

G. L. Perry