Re: [oletrucks] manual transmissions

Subject: Re: [oletrucks] manual transmissions
From: Joseph Brancheck <jbrancheck@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 17:26:30 -0800 (PST)
I was told by some older gentlemen that the only way
to go was the old 3 speed with overdrive (They liked
to coast a lot).  I've been looking for one and they
aren't the easiest thing to find (with selonoids). I
found a procedure to install the overdrive tail shaft
onto a 4 speed tranny.  It involves a newer (1965)
overdrive tranny.  There is an address below that
explains this procedure.  I've been considering this
also, but even the newer trannys aren't easy to find.

http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/overdrive.htm

--- kirk pierce &lt;kpierce@charter.net&gt; wrote:
&gt; My '57 1/2 ton currently runs a stock muncie
manual
&gt; 3 speed with overdrive
&gt; tailshaft along with the stock 3.90 rear.
However,
&gt; I would like to switch
&gt; to a 4 or 5 speed.  I guess that my options are
the
&gt; S10 T5 that has been
&gt; mentioned on this list or a muncie 4 speed.
&gt;
&gt; The S10 T5 apparently causes the shifter to be
&gt; pretty close to the seat.
&gt; Some questions:
&gt;
&gt;         Does anyone know if the muncie 4 speed
&gt; shifter is farther forward on
&gt; the transmission?
&gt;
&gt;         Is one transmission shorter than the
other?
&gt;
&gt;         Is there a linkage that could position
the
&gt; T5 shifter farther
&gt; forward?
&gt;
&gt;         Can I bolt my muncie 3 speed overdrive
&gt; tailshaft on a muncie 4
&gt; speed?
&gt;
&gt; The 283 that I plan to build will be a revver and
&gt; shifting the 3 speed would
&gt; be a drag during spirited acceleration.
&gt;
&gt; Thanks in advance for your help!
&gt; oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
&gt; between 1941 and 1959